Saturday, March 15, 2008

The mayhem continues

Since I posted my last blog I have been eager to return to write something. But again I keep wondering about what to write. I guess I will never get rid of this conundrum.

A number of movies I have seen recently have eerily the same theme. Taare Zameen Par, Edward Scissorhands and Sling Blade to name a few. All these movies feature an abnormal character who has lived in isolation for most of his time and is suddenly placed in the company of normal people. These movies capture the resulting social reactions of fascination, insecurity, hatred and guilt and the character's own dilemma of being prosecuted for no crime of his.

How different is the portrayal of the society in these movies different from ours in real world?

Why is it so hard for us to accept someone different from ourselves?

Is it not because we see our own inadequacies in meeting the standards our society sets for us and our fear of being exposed? In other's weakness lies our strength. So let it be at someone else's expense that we hide our own scars and show other's in glaring light.

Or is it because we hate our follies so much that it becomes intolerable for us to see them in others?

Am I confused and all mixed up in the head?

On a lighter note, last weekend I was returning from my trip to London. My train was supposed to reach York at about 12:45 a.m. I had finised reading The Great Gatsby and had nothing else to do. I was afraid that I might fall asleep and miss my station. There was no one in my co-passenger seat I could have engaged in conversation (well it wouldnt have mattered as I find it hard to initiate conversations). Luckily not too far from me there was a group of girls sitting and chatting. For a distraction I eves-dropped on their conversation (doesnt sound good eh..). Only a part of what they said reached me (believe me I never intended to hear what they were saying and anyway that is not the point). There was this one girl who did most of the talking. She talked about nearly everything, her parents, her shopping sprees, how she could never save and her brother had saved 400 pounds with the same amount of pocket money, how nice a place York is and how much it is different from London.. blah blah blah... Well the point is since I started to listen till I reached York (a total lenght of about 1 hour 45 minutes) she talked incessently. I cant do that even if I try. And then I thought why? I guessed you have to be completely in love your life. Have a jest for it. Enjoy every moment so much that every little bit of it seems worthy of sharing with utter disregard of what the person listening is thinking and whether (s)he finds it interesting.

But now I realise I was reading too much into it. It is just a super human power that women possess. You just cant beat them at it.

But whatever the case, that conversation saw me home.

On a parting note.. I saw The Bank Job recently. It was after a long time that I had seen such a thorougly entertaining movie. I will say just this. Not a boring moment in this job. Tag your friends along.

2 comments:

Baawara Mann said...

bugger, loved the latter half of the blog, its awesomme! foirst part i bet is great lekin jyaada kuchh samajh nahi aaya, aasha hai aap readers ki IQ and MK (movie knowledge) ka bhi dhayaan rakhengey.. :) keep rocking matey!! you rock innnit!!

Baawara Mann said...

bhai, loved it is the least I can say, you raise pertinent questions but hold yourself back, I mean the intimate knowledge of movies...!!
I felt ki thoda kam reh gaya, it was brialliant so wanted to read more, but then, skirts are short and thats what kindles interest! :D